Saturday, May 15, 2010

Home made Humidity tray






Before you rush out onto the internet and buy a humidity tray for your indoor orchids and plants, I came up with a pretty inexpensive solution and want to pass it along.  If you have only a single orchid or 10, the humidity levels in and around the orchids should be somewhere in the 65%-85% range.  This can be done very cheaply and easily.  In conjunction with humidity levels, orchids also need air circulation to really thrive.  So, I have a small fan that blows across my home made humidity tray and takes care of all my humidity and air circulation at once.  All you need to do is use the top of a large storage container, make sure it is at least two inches deep, and fill it up with regular tap water and place it near your orchids.  I think I got a large storage container at home depot for about $7.00 and use the actual container for well....storing things, only the top is needed for the humidity tray.  I priced other solutions online, and some sold for as high as 65 for a tray about 15" by 15".  Now for a professional grower with several hundred orchids, I see how this humidity trays would be essential within a rack shelving system with running water etc. all the bells and whistles.  But for the casual grower, it is just a waste of money.  Now if money is not an issue, then yes, they are much more aesthetically pleasing than my big yellow storage container top, but they do exactly the same job.  With that said, mine currently serves 17 orchids that are all clustered around it, and I have about 14 more orchids on their way to my home, so I am going to get a small fountain that recirculates water and place it in the greenhouse I eventually will have to build or purchase.  Well, thanks for listening, and I hope this helps.  Don't hesitate to tell your friends about this blog!

The Orchid Whisperer
Brandon Abshire
Happy Blooms!

www.royalorchidclub.com  This is a site that sells orchids via EBAY, very addictive, because they have some superior deals!

No comments:

Post a Comment