Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Orchid pests

Well, sitting here typing and noticing a tiny gnat like insect buzzing around aimlessly; it must mean it is time to spray the orchids with a neem tree oil extract mixed with dish soap, and water to erradicate these orchid pests.  Yes, orchids have a host of pests they are susceptible to including my favorite (sacrasm) thrips.  Although I despise thrips, I hate scale and mealy bugs even more.  Thrips are long gnat like bugs that fly and generally feed on new growth including flowers.  Neem oil is one of five solutions including: Horticultural Oil (try not to use dormant oils, Sunspray Ultra fine is better because it is thinner), Insecticidal soap, Malathion, and Orthene.  I prefer neem tree oil because it is a natural chemical, and can be used at full strength without damaging plants, you can even spray on active blooms and not worry about it.  Neem oil has a bunch of other uses such as a lotion for dry skin, shampoo, and soap.  http://www.neemtreefarms.com/  Check them out and shipping is very reasonable.  I just mix about an ounce of neem oil, with about an ounce of dish soap, and then fill up a spray bottle all the rest of the way with water.  I spray all my flowers and orchids once every other week or more if I notice a lot of bug activity.  Another tip:  If your orchid is in bloom, do not take it outside where bees or other pollinating insects can get to them, if they do, your orchids bloom will die very rapidly and prematurely.  I kind of have writers block today, headach, so I will sign off early, but should be back tomorrow.  Happy Blooms,

The Orchid Whisperer

My brother (Jason) and sister-in-law (Maritza) with Brianna Carrigan (friends daughter) in the background.  Orchids enjoying a nice night outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment