Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Staking Phalaenopsis

Hello,

I was going to discuss pruning today, but thought I might create a video when I actually do some pruning and post that instead.  Therefore, I thought I could talk about staking Phalaenopsis or other orchids with very long inflorescence (flower stems).  First of all, I like to use natural bamboo stalks, because they are strong and can be cut into whatever length you need.  I got about 25 six foot pieces for about 3 bucks at Home Depot! You can get creative with how you secure the inflorescence to the stakes (wooden dowls, bamboo);  from the simple twist tie you get off the bread loaf, to butterfly hair clips from your daughter's room.  The  main thing you want to do is to make sure that you don't damage the orchids with a spring that is too strong.  If you crush or squeeze the stem, it could possibly kill the stem and any blooms that you might have, and  nobody wants that.  Also, make sure that you connect the two without blocking any leaf growth, buds or bud nodes on the stem.  Basically use common sense, and you will do fine!

Three reasons you stake orchids: 1. The flowers on some are very heavy and will almost topple the plant, so staking centers the weight of the flowers over the pot.  2. When you stake the orchids inflorescence, you are creating more space for other orchids.  3.  Staking helps display your orchid in a more robust way, when they stand tall, they look more brilliant than if they are slumped over from the flowers weight.  Bonus, I believe staking helps with the plants circulatory system.....but that could just be speculation.

When staking, be careful where and how you plunge the stake into the soil.  You do not want to break or damage any roots!  Gently ease the stake into the medium and stop if you feel any resistance.  You can shimmy the stake and it will find a good path to the bottom of the pot.

As always, ask me, and I will answer any questions you might have.

The Orchid Whisperer

1 comment:

  1. Purple Phalaenopsis, don't know the exact species, starting to bloom for the fourth time since I bought it. Quite a trooper, I might rest it after this bloom.

    ReplyDelete